August 09, 2005

Blackhawk Farms August 7th


Friday: When we got to the track on Friday we had 4 practice sessions. In the first session I was braking on alot of the turns, but by the second time out I was doing O.K. Now I was able to go flat out in all of the turns except for turn 4, that one I had to lift a little when I would go into it. The third and fourth sessions were fun, but nothing special. I had no one from my class there to practice with. Our dog Liz came to the track with us. She had a very hard time relaxing at the track with all of the noise going on. It was only her second time to a race track and she was upset with all of the excitement. At the end of the day we all went back to our hotel. This was liz's first time sleeping in a hotel and she slept all night. This was my first time on that track and I really enjoyed this day.

Saturday: That morning when we got to the track we were told there was only one practice session and then a race. This race by the way, was not under Badger rules, it was under CES rules and we were told that we could use a blue restrictor plate in place of our purple plate. The blue plate is much faster and I was excited to see how it would feel. When it came time to race I was running twelve seconds faster than my average time with the purple plate, Boy was I going fast! The acceleration and speed was much better. I was right up there with our club's point leader but on the last lap of the race we were side by side and our karts came together on the last turn. My kart hit the rumble strips and I spun across the track, through the grass, and came to rest near a field that had alot of bugs that were bothering me while I waited for the tow truck to pick me up. I ended up in 5th place out of 7 people in my class.

Sunday: Today we had two practice sessions and one race scheduled for us. It was a bummer knowing that I had to change back to the purple plate that I run, since today's race was under Badger's rules. Blue plates are not allowed in my class. The first time out I was back to my two minute lap times. In the second practice session I finally broke the two minute mark and got all 1.59's. During my race the times were pretty much the same. Even though we went out on the track at about 10am it was very hot already. This made the track a little slower than the past two days but I still managed to drive fast and safe, and I got my first 3rd place finish. I was still a long way away from the first and second place guys but I had alot of fun anyway. This was a good weekend for us. We learned that with the right equipment I CAN drive as quick as the front runners. I look forward to coming back here again.